FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Chuck Baumann
Powerball® enhancements begin January 15
January 10, 2012 - Salem, Ore. -
On January 15, 2012, the Powerball game, offered by Oregon and 43 other lotteries, will be bigger than ever. The minimum starting jackpot will go from $20 million to $40 million and more million-dollar prizes will be available, thus creating more millionaires.
Among the changes to the game:
- Cost per ticket increases to $2 (currently $1)
- Starting jackpot increases to $40 million (currently $20 million)
- Prize for matching five white ball numbers increases to $1 million (currently $200,000)
- Match 5 prize with the Power Play option added increases to $2 million (currently $1 million)
- Overall odds of winning a prize goes to 1 in 31.8 (currently 1 in 35)
“Last year, we had six players win the $200,000 Match 5 prize,’ said Lottery Director Larry Niswender. “Had these changes been in place at that time, those players would have been million-dollar winners! Needless to say, we are very excited about creating more Oregon millionaires.’
Since the Oregon Lottery began selling tickets on April 25, 1985, it has earned over $7 billion for economic development, public education, state parks and watershed enhancements. For more information on the Oregon Lottery visit www.oregonlottery.org
2011 - 13 Lottery Fund
Allocations by County >>
See how Oregon Lottery® dollars are working for Oregon.
When You Play,
Oregon Wins >>
Lottery funds support projects and programs throughout the state.
Oregon Lottery • 500 Airport Road SE, Salem, OR, 97301 • PO Box 12649 Salem, OR, 97309-0649 • www.oregonlottery.org
Phone: 503-540-1000 • Fax: 503-540-1001 • Email: firstname.lastname@example.org